Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Election Roundup

Last night, Arizona made history. We became the first state where voters defeated an amendment to the state constitution that would ban same-sex marriage and all forms of domestic partnerships. HISTORY, baby. And I got to be a part of it.

The Arizona Daily Star just called Prop 107 defeated. Like an hour ago. That's how close it is. (The print version still had it a toss-up.) CNN still has it undecided with 99% reporting. USA Today is also calling it defeated. Other sources are hours behind updating. The Arizona Secretary of State site is calling it done (100% reporting).

Jim Kolbe, moderate Republican congressman who is retiring this year (and is one of the few remaining politicians I still respect), was at our No on 107 party. I shook his hand and introduced myself as "the other Republican in the room." ;) In a show of putting principles before politics, he refused to endorse the extremist Republican candidate for his seat. Before coming to our party, he'd been at the party for Gabrielle Giffords, the Democrat candidate for his seat. She won, which makes her part of the Democrats taking seats from Republicans.

Speaking of that, as a Republican, I couldn't be more thrilled. Our party has been going in an ugly, scary direction since 9/11 (2001) and it was due a comeuppance. Here's hoping this will wake up the GOP and bring some sense and restraint back. When we can stop being about bashing gays and the so-called "Patriot Act" and being soft on torture and go back to being about less government and fiscal responsibility, then maybe I'll start voting Republican again. So congrats, Democrats. You deserved this one.

Back to Arizona, our Demorcat Governor won in a landslide, embarrassing her ultra-conservative opponent, Len Munsil. Munsil is the former president of The Center for Arizona Policy, the main organization behind the marriage amendment. I voted for Gov. Napolitano four years ago for the same reason I voted for her again: she's a voice of reason running against an extremist. When will GOP voters realize the extreme candidates can't beat the Democrats in the general election???? Hopefully this year will teach them that lesson.

On the downside of what was largely a very good night for our nation and for Arizona, I can't say I'm not completely proud of my state today. Three really ugly anti-immigration measures plus "Official English" passed by a wide margin. I'm really saddened by this. Yes, I get the illegal part of "illegal immigration," but I don't think immigrants, legal or illegal, should be automatically denied bail (Prop 100), should have less rights to damages in a lawsuit (Prop 102), or that their children who have lived here their whole lives should be denied in-state tuition (Prop 300). I'm really disappointed in our state for passing all three of these, plus Official English.

Despite that black mark on an otherwise stellar evening, Arizona made history by being the first state where VOTERS defeated a marriage amendment. And I got to be a part of that history. For that, I will be forever grateful and for that, I thank my fabulous state.

7 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Blogger Doug said...

Thanks for all your hard work. It means more than I can say to get support like what you've shown.

Many congratulations on Arizona's successes!

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger the-unintentional-blogger said...

Yes. This election was a mixed bag for me too, although I was mostly disappointed. After a lot of soul searching, I did end up voting for Prop 107, but I'm not heartbroken about it not passing. I'd like to see a better worded proposition passed in the future. I did end up voting for Napolitano (although Deb doesn't even know that). I'm no great fan of Napolitano (i think mandatory all-day Kindergarten is a HORRIBLE idea), but she's had some success in cutting taxes, running a surplus, etc. But I just never felt great about Len Munsil. It helped that I knew that Len Munsil didn't stand a chance against Napolitano from the word go.

I'm extatic that Kyl won his race. I think he's an upstanding guy and very articulate about republican positions. There's talk about him being involved in the national leadership in the Senate, and that would be a very wise choice.

I ended up upside-down on almost all of the ballot propositions I voted for. I ended up not voting for any of the immigration measures except for Prop 300 (why should illegial immigrants get in-state tuition?). I'm sure a lawsuit about Prop 100 and Prop 102 are already on the way. And raising the minimum wage will do nothing but drag down the economy.

Obviously this will change the Republican party, and I think that that is a good thing. Although ironically, it's not for any of the reasons you listed except bringing back fiscal responsibility and reducing government intrusion (although I have no problem with the "Patriot Act".

Oh, and congratulations on a hard won victory. We may have been mostly on opposite sides of this thing, but I think it's neat how you took your convictions and turned them into actions.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Bad Methodist said...

Oh, and congratulations on a hard won victory. We may have been mostly on opposite sides of this thing, but I think it's neat how you took your convictions and turned them into actions.

Thank you. That means a lot to me.

 
At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations man, you've helped promote gay marriage, all the while claiming Christ as your King.

Perhaps you are a good Methodist after all.

Time will tell if your king agrees...

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Dr. Don said...

I appreciate your comments on my blog (you are always welcome to post comments). While I, like your brother, disagree on some of the finer points, I too have grown tired of the Republican party as it currently behaves; and while I am certain the next 2 years will grow rapidly tiring should the VA race go the the Dems, I am hopeful that we can return to our core values as the party of limited and fair government.

BTW, next time you come up to the Promised Land to visit your beloved brother, make sure you come by and say hi. I don't think we've ever met.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Bad Methodist said...

while I am certain the next 2 years will grow rapidly tiring should the VA race go the the Dems, I am hopeful that we can return to our core values as the party of limited and fair government.

Hear hear!!!! It's funny, I'm kinda looking forward to the Democrats having power just 'cause I KNOW they'll screw up and then I can gripe about them for a while and sound like a Republican once more. (I really am one, I just have been extremely disappointed with the majority of Republican candidates the last few years.)

BTW, next time you come up to the Promised Land to visit your beloved brother, make sure you come by and say hi. I don't think we've ever met.

We may have, but that depends on how long you've been pastor at "beloved ::cough cough:: brother's" church. I think my kids and his oldest were all toddlers the last time I visited. We go to a small-ish church now and have a lot of commitments there, so we almost always only visit Phoenix on Saturdays and come back Sat. night.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Conrad said...

Speaking of that, as a Republican, I couldn't be more thrilled.

I was a Republican for years and my shift away from the Republican party was a long process.

There was a time when there were a significant number of socially liberal/fiscally conservative Republicans, and in Arkansas, when I was first active in the party, it was often the Republicans that were more socially liberal than the Democrats.

The Republicans have gone to hell in a handbasket in my current opinion and I now self-identify as a Green.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home