Sunday, February 12, 2006

Proud Mom Moment

My eight-year-old daughter had her fifteen minutes of fame today. She got to give her very own speech at the Rally for Love and Justice in Tucson. I've been speaking there for three years now and she begged me to get a chance to speak, too, so I asked the organizers and they gave her a slot. So here's the text of her speech. She wrote it herself. I helped her edit/polish it a little bit, but the words and ideas are all her own.

My name is Carly and I’m a triplet, and that’s different. I mean, even when I was in my mom’s tummy I didn’t get my own room. But it’s cool to be a triplet and it’s cool to be different, too.

I’m also different from my brother and sister and nobody cares about that. I like science, and my brother thinks that’s dumb. Everybody is different in their own special way.

Girls loving girls and boys loving boys is different, and different is cool. So why should other people care about a girl being married to a girl or a boy being married to a boy? Because whoever you marry, it’s love. It’s not other people’s business who you marry.

This amendment goes too far, does too many scary things and hurts too many people and too many friendships.

Some people think that God doesn’t like people who are different and that’s not right. God has eyes for everyone whether they’re a boy or a girl, gay or straight, black or white. The world would be a much better place without this amendment for many lives and many families.

Whoever you love it’s OK and no matter what that will always be true. When I heard my mom talking about all the scary things they’re doing to gay people I was scared, and I should be scared because I don’t like how people are being treated just because they’re gay.

And that’s why I asked my mom if I could speak here today. One of my heroes is Rosa Parks and the reason I like her is because she stood up for what she believed in no matter what she knew would happen and I think you should always stand up for what you believe in. I hope everybody will help to make sure that everybody is treated fairly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home