Monday, February 21, 2005

Ew ick

I've still got a sick kid at home, so I'll let Leonard Betts do my work for me and share my thoughts on the wedding of Mary Kay Letourneau and her now-adult victim, Vili Fualaau.

Mentally stable 34-year-old women do not have sex with 12-year-old boys, period. Twelve-year-old boys ought not be having sex with anybody, period. At that age, one is still largely unformed, still emotionally undeveloped, still in the process of becoming.
 
So even if Vili Fualaau is earnest in wanting to marry this woman, we have to wonder to what degree that wanting is colored by what happened to him, what she did to him, when he was just a child. We have to remember that he is not who he otherwise would have been.


Abuse is not sexy and it isn't romantic. The victim growing up and calling it love doesn't make it so. If this wedding ends up as some reality TV show, I think I'm going to be sick.

2 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the author of this blog.
About your bio.....

"grown progressively more liberal the more I study the Bible. Here I might seem like a raving liberal, but politically I'm actually a moderate conservative. Although I'm straight, the death of Matthew Shepard...."

Your "liberal" path is in direct opposition to the Word of God. If you understand it correctly, then you are in deliberate sin and rebelling against God. Bad Methodist is a good name, however. I just hope you have recieved Jesus as Savior and Lord. Just being a Methodist doesn't mean you have a saving relationship with God. Lordship means following Jesus and accepting His authority in your life. May you truly seek God, and understand He wants more for you than to be a "Bad Methodist".

BTW...Matthew Shepard murder was a drug deal gone bad. See this link
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?
id=277685&page=1
Of course the gay community has made Matthew Shepard a poster child for their agenda. If this incident is really a turning point in your life, then look at the real reason for it. Look what sin does to you and the people around you. The sin here is DRUGS. But a sin it is, and deliberate sin will take you down.

 
At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why the anonymouse decided to leave his troll at the bottom of a decidedly old fashioned observation on the morality of a marriage between to people who started having sex when one of them was 12 is a mystery known only to God.

I thoroughly agree with you that child abuse is disgusting even if our culture says that since it's an old woman and a young boy it's supposed to be sexy. The problem is with the culture, which automatically assumes that the male is the perpritratior- or at least not a victim. (Male/Male sexual abuse is a special case- there society allows the victim to be a victim, because his masculinity is compromised)

Unfortunately, the boy is 22 and technically an adult, so if his parents don't have enough influence over him to prevent the marriage (one hopes that they are trying). If they make the wedding into a reality show, I'll boycott the station that shows it, and blog the boycott- whaddya bet that it'll be Fox that shows it.

Just a note: I'm 21 and bi, and I'm saying this.

Ps. Thoughts and prayers for you and your kids.

Dang, that was a long comment. Sorry.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home