Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The British solution

Why can't we just do what Great Britain is doing about same-sex marriage.

Gay couples began registering for civil partnerships at town halls across Britain on Monday as a law took effect giving them many of the same legal rights as married heterosexuals.

Although the law stops short of allowing same-sex couples to marry, many said they were still eager to claim the benefits and official recognition of their relationships.

If calling it "marriage" is a problem, then let's just have fully equal civil unions and be done with it. But let's not deny those equal rights in the name of "protecting" marriage. And let's not pretend that anything short of the same full and equal rights is fair.

2 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think 'separate but equal' rights has much of a future, but this is certainly a wonderful, reasonable step forward. After a few years of gay couples enjoying equity, I have no doubt these civil unions will naturally transtion to civil marriages.

It's sad that England and South Africa are on the forefront of equal rights for gay people, while America continues to lag further behind. Our country needs to start being a force for good again, not one for torture and war and felonies at the highest levels.

Bad Methodist, keep up the good work!

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger opaleye said...

Whoa, I just found this blog. Yay! I too am a bad Methodist, everyone should be able to worship God.
I'm bi and would just about die if my church found out. I hate having to hide it from them and my parents.
Keep up the good work, I'll enjoy reading your entries.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home