Friday, April 08, 2005

Left Behind Fridays!

Slacktivist has resumed his critique of the Left Behind series and has promised to update every Friday. And there was much rejoicing!

Last week's entry focuses on the incredibly bad writing and unbelievable dialogue between reporter Buck Williams and an airline counter person the day of the Rapture.

I only read the first book and it was pretty much the Worst. Book. I. Ever. Read. The writing is atrocious, but I'm actually someone who can get past bad writing if I like the characters, so it wasn't the bad writing that killed this book for me. What really made my skin crawl (and not in a good way) was the theology. It is so bad, so dangerous, so wrong in every way imaginable that I cringe whenever I see the displays in a store. This is how we're marketing Christianity? I'd rather be an atheist than believe in the god represented in this series.

Even more disturbing is the kids' series. They're using fiction, bad fiction with worse theology, to convert kids and marketing it as The Truth. Really, really scary.

Anyway, I highly recommend Slacktivist's commentary about this series. Normally I don't like nitpicky critics, but if ever a nit deserved to be picked, Left Behind is it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home